|Ruler||King Gideon Magnus||Land Area||2,300,000 km2||Water Area||204,000 km2||Government||Hereditary Monarchy||Official Language||Common||Population||~186,000,000||Population Density||80.9/km2||Demonym||Kardian||Military Strength||9,100,000||Flag|
Communities and Settlements
Societies and Organizations
Relations with other nations
Kardiam boasts a wide variety of biomes including temperate deciduous broadleaf forests, mountains, lakes, farmland, and coastal regions. The land area is approximately 2,300,000 km2, and is found on the mainland of Faran.
- Alnaz – The capital of Kardiam, found on the southern coast in the Ursalt province. The headquarters for the Mage Guild are located within the city.
- Balkwold – The capital of the Novarum province, found on the south-east coast.
- Priuston – The capital of the land-locked Geros province.
- Aberhale – A major city of the Cervi province.
- Cardenmere – The capital of the Cervi province.
- Kleistead – A major port city of the Alcede province, found on the south-western coast.
- Rauchester – The capital of the Alcede province, found near the western border.
- Lycarus – The capital of the Kopic province, found on the southern coast.
- Tarn Alere – A major city, found in the lakelands of the Kopic province.
- Astlock – The capital of the Vardance province.
- Millenforte – The capital of the Bretaine province, found in the north-east region of the country. Contains a waterfall and river coursing through the city limits, and has a large dwarven population.
- Framburgh – The capital of the Renatus province.
- Einfirth – The capital of the Porsel province.
- Ubil – The capital of the Melina province.
- Sudkard – The capital of the Sudkard province, found on the eastern coast.
Kardians have the freedom to worship the religion of their choice. The Gods who possesses major institutions of worship within Kardiam include:
The international headquarters for the Mage Guild is located in Alnaz, and contains smaller branches in each of the fourteen other major cities of Kardiam. Numerous other towns and villages may possess licensed distributors of their products.
Common is the official language of Kardiam, and almost every resident speaks it fluently.
Kardiam uses the Faran Silver Standard, accepted as legal tender worldwide.
Kardiam is a Hereditary Monarchy, the order of succession being determined by lineal primogeniture. The Monarch rules absolutely and is sworn fealty in turn by the Archdukes of Kardiam, each responsible for a different province. The Archdukes in turn govern nobles of lesser status and their holdings, and so on, so that a hierarchy of nobility could be said to exist for any location in Kardiam. A few small towns and villages end up being self-regulating with their officials being selected by the populous as opposed to being designated from a higher power, due to their relative insignificance.
Kardiam shares a border with several nations, including:
Hestial: Found south of Kardiam on a peninsula, this more sparsely populated nation, generally thought to be comprised of mostly farmers and sailors, holds strong trade ties with Kardiam. During the War of Five Seasons, Hestial sent their troops to support Kardiam’s war efforts, and since that time the two nations have been close allies.
Yarfel: Following the War of Five Seasons, which had the two countries in direct conflict with one another, travel and direct trade between the two nations has been forbidden. An armistice between the two kingdoms has been in place for the past century, but no formal peace treaty was ever signed. A cold war exists between them, as well as a war-by-proxy waged between Lysus and Vener.
Lysus: Relations are poor between Kardiam and Lysus, with the smaller nation bearing much ill-will towards their more powerful neighbour for providing aid to their sworn enemies, the nation of Vener, and due to propaganda perpetuated by their own patrons, the nation of Yarfel. Trade and travel between Lysus and Kardiam are forbidden, and the borders are closed and guarded along their entire length.
Vener: While technically its own sovereign nation, many consider Vener to be a puppet state of Kardiam. Waging its on-again-off-again war with Lysus, Vener receives aid from Kardiam in the form of supplies, arms, military strategic advisors and other benefits, although the presence of a Kardian military force itself would be strictly forbidden.
Immori: Found to the north of Kardiam, the ancestral homeland of the elves has closed borders to all foreigners. Despite this the elves maintain trade routes with Kardiam along their shared border by maintaining a few trading posts located at the edge of their forested lands.
Kratys: Found to the east of Kardiam is the mountainous terrain of the dwarven lands. The majority of the dwarven kingdom is closed to outsiders, although the dwarves maintain a few villages along their border which act as trading posts. The interior of Kratys, as well as the subterranean communities of that nation, are inaccessible to foreigners, although multiple exceptions have been made over the millennia.
Baroi: This isolationist nation is a neighbour to Kardiam by geography alone. In reality, the nigh-impassable mountain range that strides their shared border makes trade along this route virtually non-existent. Despite their aversion to outsiders, Baroi freely engages in trade with Kardiam in their port cities along the western coast, and a healthy import and export of goods flows between the two nations.
Kardiam possesses an impressive force of land troops, with over 9 million men in active service.